Experienced Managers, Team Leaders and Supervisors.
AIMS & OBJECTIVES
Nationally Accredited by the Institute for Leadership & Management, this 5 day programme for experienced managers to develop their leadership skills and to focus on developing their working team within an effective organisation.
Maximum number of delegates is 15 and minimum to run course would be 13 delegates
This is a 5-day course (one day every 3 weeks) delivered by Thornfields (Primary Care Training Specialists at First Practice Management) Delegates must attend all 5 days.
In order to achieve the ILM Qualification, delegates must successfully complete 2 assignments based on the ILM Assessment Criteria.
- The Becoming an Effective leader assignment will be 2000-3000 words in length and will demonstrate their ability to use relevant theory and principles in practice.
- The Coaching and Mentoring assignment will be 4000-5000 words and this assignment requires the delegate to demonstrate their understanding of the context in which effective coaching and mentoring operates including the individual and organisational benefits of coaching and mentoring.
In addition to the two assignments, delegates will also complete a number of assessments of their own skills and capabilities which will enable them to reflect on and develop their skills. A reading list will also be provided to enable delegates to meet the ILM assessment criteria and delegates will be expected to carry out background reading and research in their own time.
The course runs from 9.30am to 4.30pm and lunch is provided.
The programme will be delivered with five days contact time with the tutor, including a short induction and the opportunity for face to face, online or telephone tutorials. The course tutor will provide feedback on the assignments at a draft stage before formal submission 4 weeks after the final training day.
The two modules studied during the programme are:
- Understanding the skills principles and practice of effective management coaching and mentoring
- Credit Value: 5
- Units Guided Learning Hours: 18
Successful completion of this unit will prepare managers by giving them an understanding of coaching and mentoring and help them to prepare a case to use then to achieve organisational benefits.
- The programme will provide them with the skills and knowledge required to become an effective coach or mentor including the ability to communicate and give feedback in ethical and non-judgemental ways.
- Delegates will learn how to create a contract for coaching or mentoring, to set appropriate expectations and boundaries and to put in place a process that takes in to account learning and communication theories and uses good questioning techniques.
- The programme will also provide delegates with an opportunity to review and reflect upon their own skills and to develop these in a systematic fashion.
- Becoming an Effective Leader
- Credit Value: 5
- Units Guided Learning Hours: 9
- The purpose of this unit is to develop knowledge and understanding of effective leadership as required by a practising or potential middle manager.
- Delegates will use a range of leadership assessment tools in order to gain feedback on their own leadership ability to use different leadership styles in different situations with different types of people.
- The course will also include learning on emotional intelligence and how this can enhance leadership and improve performance in others.
- Time will be spent on learning about underpinning theories including motivational theory, leadership traits and contingency theories. The aim of this is to provide delegates with a range of leadership and motivational tools to use in the work place.
- As part of the assessment process delegates will review their own ability to set direction and communicate with others. They will also need to reflect upon how they motivate and inspire their team; how they plan and delegate to others in order to motivate and empower; and they will create a personal development plan to improve these skills.
DAY 1 – Thursday 22nd Feb 2018
DAY 2 – Thursday 22nd March 2018
DAY 3 – Thursday 19th April 2018
DAY 4 – Thursday 24th May 2018
DAY 5 – Thursday 21st June 2018